“This post was sponsored by Massage Envy as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central.”
When you’re going on a trip, sitting on an airplane waiting to take off, you have to sit through the safety instructions on what to do in an emergency. They always say “Should there be a change in pressure in the plane, an oxygen mask will drop down above your head. Please place the mask over your mouth and nose and breathe normally. If you are traveling with a small child, please put your mask on first and then help your child with their mask.” It always is a good reminder that if we don’t take care of ourselves, then we can’t take care of others. That’s why it’s so important as mom’s to take care of our needs.
I think as moms we sometimes think that we are being selfish if we do things for ourselves instead of our children. The best thing for our children in the long run is to have a mom who can take care of them. I believe that is a message every mom needs to hear.
A mom’s life is crazy and hectic. Running late to school, burning dinner, forgetting something important you were supposed to do for the kids. We really are hard on our selves in the guilt department, and it really piles up. Our bodies and minds work hard for us and it’s about time we return the favor.
Here are some things I do to help my body and mind function while still being the mother to 5 kids.
- I can not function if I have tired and tight muscles, so I love to get a massage. I actually have a very stiff neck from a past injury so I need some help relaxing those muscles so I can function as a mom. My husband is actually a massage therapist, how lucky am I? Most of you are not as lucky as I am and so those of you who don’t have a Massage Therapist as a husband, Massage Envy is there to help you through every ache, pain and stress. Total Body Care is an integral part of everyone’s wellness. Massage Envy is dedicated to helping their members and guests achieve Total Body Care. Total Body Care is where we pause during the daily grind to check-in and tune up. A lot of mom’s think that a massage is a luxury and something you do on a girls night out. That’s not true. You will be amazed at how much better you’ll feel after getting a whole body massage. Did you know that Massage Envy not only offers massage, but also skin care services? Massage Envy is here to help you manage this thing we call living. We don’t need a reason to take care of ourselves, so don’t wait for your birthday or Mother’s Day, you need a massage ‘BECAUSE’ it makes you a happier person. And we all know that a happy mom is the best kind of mom! Massages help us manage, not escape, the everyday.
- Get together with friends. Start a mom’s group or find one that you can be a part of. Start making an effort to spend time with other moms. Invite a mom and her kids over to play and visit. Ask a neighbor if she’d like to go out one night a week for pie and coffee. Be intentional about spending time with other women who understand what your life is like. Talking about your life with others who are going through similar things really helps you to not feel isolated. Sometimes you just need the support of other women to help you get through those tough times. Husbands are great, don’t get me wrong, but they truly don’t understand what we go through. Mom’s are amazing, and helping each other is one of those things we like to do.
- Take some time off. Whether you go somewhere with friends, alone, or with your husband, getting away from the stresses of your daily life really helps. If you haven’t had time for yourself, think about the activities that would refuel you. Do whatever you need to do to make it happen. You will probably need the help of others. Usually finding a babysitter. The rewards are well worth the effort, however. You need it, and your family needs it too.
- Make a list of all the things you do each day. Sometimes being a mom is a thankless job and no one seems to say “Thank You”. Sometimes it’s hard to realize that the things you do each day are worth while. But when you write a list of all the amazing things you did the whole day, you’ll realize how much you are needed and how important you are. Making the list will help you figure out where you can slip in a few moments for yourself throughout the day. Even if it’s a minute with a piece of chocolate and an episode of your favorite show while the kids nap.
- Teach your kids how to help and ask for help from your husband. It’s OK to ask for help. As mom’s we feel like we need to do everything ourselves or we aren’t doing our job. THAT’S NOT TRUE. Isn’t it part of our jobs to make sure our kids grow up to be responsible adults? There is nothing wrong with teaching your kids to work and having them help. Even when it comes to helping the younger siblings. Your older kids can help the younger kids get dressed, get snacks and take the garbage out. The little ones can throw away their own diapers. Even the small things can add up to big things. And your kids will be better for it.
Your family is your life. Your children and husband are your blessings. There are hard days and crazy moments but being a mom is the most rewarding job in the world. Seeing motherhood as a blessing with some hard times will help you get through these hard years. Sit at read with your kids, hold them and hug them while you watch a show. You don’t have to be the perfect mom, just the perfect mom for your kids.
Remember to take care of yourselves, moms!