“This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy for more information.”
I’m not kidding. This really is the best Mexican casserole you will ever make. It is so flavorful and really easy.
It’s just like lasagna, just a Mexican Lasagna. Instead of using pasta, you use corn tortillas. Instead of sausage or hamburger, you use chicken. Instead of tomato sauce, you use sour cream, spices and green chilies. It’s not the prettiest thing, but I guarantee, it’s going to be a family favorite and a part of your dinner rotation once you try it!
Best Ever Mexican Casserole (Lasagna):
- 3 large chicken breasts cooked and shredded (I boil mine with salt and garlic powder)
- Lot’s of Mexican blend shredded cheese, or cheddar (at least 8 oz or more)
- About 12 small corn tortillas
- 1- 8 oz. or 2- 4 oz. can green chilies
- 2 cups sour cream, or 1 1/2 cups sour cream and one 8 oz. softened pkg cream cheese
- 2- 10 oz cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 Tbs. Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp. Ground Cumin (you could substitute the chili powder and cumin with the equivalent amount of Taco Seasoning)
*After adding the chicken, and you notice the mixture is dry, add more sour cream. Moisture will evaporate during cooking and you don’t want it to turn out dry!*
- Optional for garnish: Chili Powder and Fresh Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine sour cream (and cream cheese if desired), cream of chicken soup, chili powder, cumin, green chilies, and two handfuls of cheese in a large bowl and combine well. Fold in the shredded chicken.
- Spray a 9×13″ pan with non stick spray (I love to use stoneware, it really does make a difference)
- Add a tiny amount of the creamy chicken mixture to the bottom of the pan just to be sure the tortillas don’t stick.
- Add 3 tortillas to the bottom of the pan pushed to the long side of the pan. Break 2 tortillas in half and place on the side of the pan where it’s not covered by tortillas. You’ll only need to use 3 half pieces for this so save the other half for a different layer.
- Add 1/3 of the cream chicken mixture and spread evenly over the tortillas.
- Repeat the layering process with tortillas and chicken mixture ending with the creamy chicken mixture on top. (You’ll only have 2 layers of tortillas with the creamy chicken mixture on top of it all)
- Top with another 2 handfuls of cheese (or more if you want it more yummy!)
- Sprinkle lightly with Chili Powder
- Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until center is bubbling
- Garnish with Cilantro, Hot Sauce and Sour Cream if desired. But it’s definitely not needed.