My husband grew up in Hawaii, and he always talks about moving back there. Eating Hawaiian food helps ease his pain a little, because I really don’t want to move there 😉
I have been looking for a really good Grilled Hawaiian recipe for a long time. We make a version of this that is a little easier using soy sauce, 7-Up and oil. BUT, this one is the best we have tried yet. AND the coconut rice is the easiest thing on earth, and SO yummy!
I found this recipe HERE on the blog “The Girl Who Ate Everything”. I guess her husband is a chef and he threw a little party for the Kirkland brand and made this chicken.
I have changed it just a little bit. So on with the good stuff!
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken with Coconut Rice:
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 3 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups soy sauce (Aloha Shoyu isn’t as salty as Kikomen’s)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 1/4 cup of a white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can of coconut milk
For the Rice:
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- about a cup of water (*see note)
- Trim chicken thighs of any visible fat. Mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar, onions, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds and coconut milk in a large bowl. Marinade chicken for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Grill chicken at a low heat so that the marinade does not burn for 5-7 minutes per side or until done.
- Serve over a platter of coconut rice and garnish with green onions. My kids liked adding more soy sauce, but I thought it was perfect with out it.
- Coconut rice can be made by just replacing half of the water in your rice recipe with coconut milk. I add the rice to my rice maker, add the can of coconut milk and stir it up. *Then I add just enough water that when I put my finger in and touch the top of the rice, the water comes up to my first knuckle line. Then cook it on the white rice setting.
I will try this recipe soon, seems to be. delicious!
I would move to Hawaii in a heart beat, and you don’t want to…..ironic how the ones that could don’t want to and the ones that can’t wish they could….
This looks and sounds sooo good!! I wish I found the recipe yesterday so I could be marinating chicken for tonights dinner! Why don’t you want to move to Hawaii? I’ve been thinking about moving there all week, hence the quest for a Hawaiian recipe to appease my soul 🙂
I loved visiting Hawaii, but I just felt trapped there! I don’t know, I’m just a paranoid person so don’t listen to me 🙂
This looks so good! Do you think I could use brown rice cooked the same way?
Yes~! Brown rice would be good this way too!
Yum!! Found your recipe on Pinterest! We made it for dinner tonight, so delicious!! We will be making it again. Curious if you have tried to make the chicken in the crockpot? Think we might try it like that next time to see how it would be. Also loved the rice and wondered why I’d never made it with coconut milk before. Thanks!!
Hi Jamie, No, I haven’t tried it in the crockpot but I bet it would be delicious. It just might not get the carmelization that it does on the grill.