“I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting (#MC) for Reebok. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank you for participating. All opinions are my own.”
I know it’s everyone’s most hated chore as a mom. Running errands with small children in tow. It’s NOT fun! And we feel like we’ve been hit by a train when we get home. Well, I’m not my 5th small child, and although I still have bad errand running days, I’ve come up with a plan that I think might help you! So, here are my top 5 tips for How To Run Errands with Small Children.
1. Organize and plan! Organize and plan! Organize and plan! Orga . . . OK, I think you got it. Of course running errands doesn’t mean you are just going to one place and then you’re done, right? You have about 10 different places to go. So, write down the order of the places you are going to go by starting at the farthest away place possible. Why the farthest away place? Because usually at the beginning of your errands, your little ones are in a WAY happier mood and won’t mind riding in their seat for a longer period of time. Then work your way back to your house stopping where you need to. WRITE IT ON A LIST or else through the screaming and fits, you WILL forget something. And believe me, you DO NOT want to get home and realize you forgot something. Tape this list to your dashboard so you can glance at it when you are driving.
2. Make a list of the groceries you need organized by the section of the store they are located. I hope you have a list magnetized to your fridge so you can instantly write down an item when you use the last of it. This in itself is a lifesaver. Take that list, then write on a separate list the items you need according to their placement in the store. I organize into a few sections depending on what I need. Fruits & Veggies, Dairy, Health & Beauty, Pharmacy, Snacks, Frozen, Baking, etc. See how I do this:
And what is my small child doing while I’m making these lists?
I love Jake and the Neverland Pirates and a bowl of popcorn to keep him busy. 🙂
3. I know how hard it is to keep track of your keys and having to dig them out of your purse to lock or unlock the car while holding a fit thrower or a sleeper. So I use a small double carabiner hook to hook my keys to the OUTSIDE of my purse so they are easily accessible. I have been doing this for years and have never had to dig though my purse to find my keys and I’ve never lost them either. Best tip ever!! (This is an affiliate link)
4. Have something for your kids to do and eat. You know they will throw a fit when they see that ice cream or candy at the store, and the last thing you need is a meltdown. Have some healthy snacks or even treats in your purse to keep them busy. Also, playing a few games on your phone won’t hurt a bit. Maybe they won’t even see the candy! 🙂 I always bribe my little one. I know that sounds horrible. But throughout our shopping I can always say, “Remember! If you stay good and be a good little helper, you get to have a quarter to ride the fire truck, or to put in the candy machine when we are all done!” It works every time. If they are a little bigger and aren’t prone to running away, I let them walk beside the cart and help me add groceries to the cart. They love this! They feel so big!
5. Dress comfortably. Seriously. We are not going to a fashion shoot here. We are trying to survive motherhood. Does this mean to wear sweats and a baggie t-shirt with our hair pulled up and no make-up? NO. Although no one would blame you one bit, and I’m sure you’re cute when you dress like that. But you can still look cute and still be comfortable at the same time. I pick my cutest jeans that have stretch in them, a cute t-shirt and the most important part? Comfortable shoes. You’ll be walking a lot and usually holding about 20 extra pounds! You’re feet need support and comfort. I just LOVE my Reebok Skyskapes. They are BRAND spankin’ NEW. They are cute and you feel like you are wearing socks people. Seriously they are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. Want to know the best part about them? You can throw them right into the washing machine. AWESOME SAUCE! They have neoprene like feel to them and they stay so clean because of it. You really need to check them out and try them on. I got mine at Kohls. I’ve worn them a million times already, and if you follow me on instagram, you’ve seen them a few times 😉
Aren’t they adorable? They come in many different colors and patterns too! These shoes are perfect for everyday use and especially helpful for running errands.
These are the perfect everyday shoe for active and casual wear, Skyscape features 360 degrees of foam comfort in a fun silhouette that pairs perfectly with jeans, skirts or yoga pants and is so comfortable, you’ll forget you have them on. The Skyscape upper is crafted using the same manufacturing techniques and processes as molded foam bras, but using materials that have been optimized for the stresses and strains placed on the feet all day. SO COOL! The sole of the shoe resembles cloud-like pillows, and provide cushioning, comfort and flexibility for all-day comfort.
Remember these 5 tips and I’m sure your time spent running errands will be a lot easier. I really do love the Reebok skyscapes. I’m usually not a lover of lace up shoes because I cherish every second I have and lacing up shoes takes too long. But I have worn these shoes so many times because they seriously feel like I’m wearing socks. And they are so cute!
Good luck and let me know how it goes!