“I participated in an Influencer Activation Program on behalf of Influence-Central for #AveenoEczemaTherapy. I received a sample to facilitate my review and a thank you item for participating.”
Did you know that October is National Eczema Awareness Month? How many of you or your kids have eczema? If you do, you know how much of a problem this is! My 9 year old son has Eczema. It has bothered him his whole life. It inflames in the spring and fall when his allergies kick in. We have learned a few tips and tricks to help it stay moisturized and calm. If you have kids with eczema you know what I mean when I say “calm”. Sometimes it really gets angry! Eczema keeps my son from falling asleep at night, paying attention to the teacher at school and it drives him absolutely crazy! He is constantly itching it. He really needs relief when he has outbreaks.
My son has seasonal allergies along with food allergies. So he will get an inflammation at a moments notice. I know his food allergies irritate his skin along with certain types of clothing and laundry soap. Here is a list of things we do to keep him comfortable.
1. Wash regularly. I know that sounds weird. It sounds like it would irritate the skin more. But keeping the skin clean and hydrated helps. BUT there is a certain way to wash to keep it moisturized. Here’s how:
- Have your child get in the shower and wash with gentle soap. The gentle soap should be used their hair too! We like to use Cetaphil body wash. Don’t use any other kind of soaps.
- Rinse all the soap and water down the drain.
- Fill up the bathtub, and bathe for a little while, letting their skin soak in the water.
- Use Aveeno Eczema Therapy Lotion on your childs skin like a conditioner, in the water, all over their skin. Doing this in the bath helps their skin soak up the moisture. The cooling effect the lotion also helps sooth their skin too!
- If your child is having an extra bad attack, use the Aveeno Soothing Bath Therapy and let them soak in that for a while.
- Use petroleum jelly on the most effected areas of the skin to trap all that moisture in.
- Get out of the bath and PAT dry. Do not rub the skin dry
Why do we like to use Aveeno Eczema Therapy Products? The AVEENO® Eczema Therapy Collection is developed with leading dermatologists and has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance for providing gentle, superior ingredients to soothe skin with eczema. These soothing products utilize the best ingredients in nature to care for the four symptoms of eczema – itch, roughness, dryness, irritation – and when used as a regimen, help break the cycle of irritated skin. My son loves how the lotion cools his eczema. It also keeps the area moisturized so he can move on with his life! Check out Aveeno Eczema Therapy facebook page.
2. Use dye and fragrance free laundry detergent. This is very important. Any kind of fragrance or dye can really irritate eczema.
3. Don’t lay or roll around on the carpet. The rough texture of the carpet will really irritate the skin and cause breakouts.
4. Don’t roll or lay in the grass. Same as with the carpet, a lot of people that have eczema actually have an allergy to grass too and don’t even know it. When my son goes out to play, I usually put long pants, socks and shoes on him to make sure he doesn’t get is skin irritated.
5. Moisturize before going to bed then wear tight pajamas so there is minimal rubbing on their skin at night. Make sure they have long pants and long sleeves too. This makes it so they don’t itch so much in their sleep and really harm the skin.
Do you or your child have eczema? What are some tips you would give someone dealing with this?