My daughter is taking a foods class at school and she is loving every minute of it. She has turned out to be the best little baker in the house and she is always making these Easy Baked Pretzel Bites when it’s her turn to make dinner. I tell her that pretzels are not a main dish, but she doesn’t believe me. So I just let her do what she wants, because hey! Why would I discourage something like this? It makes my life easier! Yes!
These whip up in a few minutes and the dough is easy to work with. She makes them all different shapes and sizes for fun because usually my 4 year old is helping her. But I’ll tell you how to make them into little bite sized balls of buttery, salty goodness. And there is a variation at the end of the recipe for a cinnamon sugar version for dessert. Now let’s get started.
- Easy Baked Pretzel Bites
- Cooking oil spray (like Pam) for the baking sheets or Parchment Paper
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 pkg. or 1 Tbsp. dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons butter for brushing after baking
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Spray the baking sheets or use Parchment Paper. Pour the warm water into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Add sugar, table salt, and 1 cup flour; stir until blended. Add 2 more cups of flour (a half cup at a time) stirring to blend after each addition. The dough should be well blended.
- Sprinkle some flour over the counter. Turn the dough onto the floured surface. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Sprinkle with flour if the dough is sticky.
- Form the dough into bite sized balls rolling it in your hands. Alternately, you can divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll into a rope. Then use a pizza cutter to cut bite sized pieces off the ropes.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl with one tablespoon water and brush the mixture over the dough.
- Sprinkle the coarse salt over the bites and press lightly so the salt will stick.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. The smaller the bites the less time they need to cook so watch them and take them out as soon as they turn a golden brown.
- Brush with butter right when you take them out of the oven.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- *Cinnamon Sugar Variation: Omit step #7. When done baking, brush with butter and sprinkle each pretzel with a cinnamon sugar mixture.
Leave a Reply