“This post is sponsored on behalf of Darren Gygi Home Collection. All opinions are my own.”
We just moved. I. Hate. Moving.
As I took all the art down off the walls in our condo, I contemplated which art I would save for our new home. Of course every piece came to our new home because I’m a sentimental fool. But now that I’m here, I’m thinking I have WAY too many things to put on my walls. I don’t have as many walls in this house as I did in the other house, so this wall “real estate” is valuable. I need to be thoughtful about what goes up on my wall. So I’ve figured out a series of questions to ask myself to decide if I should keep it or not. I’ll share those with you in a few seconds after I tell you about an experience I had with a new piece of art for my home.
One thing I did know was that I needed something new for the front living room. It’s painted a teal blue color and I have NOTHING that goes with that! So I was on the search for something new.
As I was searching for new art for a very special room in our new home (our home is actually old, but new to us), I was asked to do a review on an artist named Darren Gygi. The collection is called Darren Gygi Home Collection. His art is printed on a canvas and come as a gallery wrapped piece. I love all his unique pieces. I could have chosen a million to review, but I was only offered one. And this is the one I chose.
It’s a beautiful painting of a sparrow with a soft blue background. You can get this print as is or you can choose the one with the inspiring scripture, I chose the one with the scripture. It says, “But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than sparrows.”
I love the thought behind this quote. It makes me think about how much I love my kids and how much more Heavenly Father loves them more than I do, if that’s even possible. So I chose to display it over a canvas gallery wrap picture I have of my kids when they were younger.
The colors of this piece go well with the teal blue walls (they were already painted when we moved in, I probably would have never chosen that color, but I think it’s growing on me) and the old wood built in’s in the room. That display cupboard holds all my fancy plates and accessories I use when I take pictures of the recipes I make for my blog. Don’t you think it’s adorable? I love how it fits perfectly in that space. And it just so happens to be the exact same size as the picture of my kids. Yahoo!
Now on to the questions to ask yourself when choosing art for your home.
- Does this art have a sentimental meaning to me? Like sea shells or a life preserver if you love water or have a story from the sea. Or a special flower that was given to you by your husband? Make sure the art you chose means something to you more than just choosing what you think is cute.
- Do the colors really work with the room? Look at the color wheel and make sure that you are putting together colors that compliment each other. Do a google search for a color wheel and choose colors that are on the opposite side of the wheel to compliment each other. Of course, you don’t have to follow these rules, but it makes it easier to choose when you know your color combination ahead of time.
- Are all the members of my family displayed in the same place? This gives your kids a sense of unity. That they belong to a family unit. Make this wall the focus wall of your home. Make it special because these are the most important people in your life.
- Do you have great frames for your artwork? Frames are important and if you have to, have someone make you a special frame. Frames give your artwork and pictures a foundation. They should compliment the image and go with the rest of the decor in your home. These are things you’ll be keeping for a long time, so make sure you get NICE frames.
- Should you display your child’s art in the home? YES! There are a million different cute ways to display your kids artwork, just do a search on Pinterest. When you display your kids artwork, it says to them “I think you are amazing, and I love the hard work you put into this piece”. They will beam when they see their artwork on display.
- How does this piece make me feel? If it makes you feel scared, confused, nervous, or upset, don’t buy it. Go for images that spark a great memory or make you feel happy and comfortable.
That’s it. That’s all I can think of. Did I miss any great points? Let me know in the comment section below. Fill your home with high quality art work and you won’t be sorry!
Do you want one of these pieces for your own home? Well enter the giveaway below! And remember, you can use my coupon code annette10 to recieve 10% off your purchase at Darren Gygi!
Is your giveaway over? None of the facebook links are working.
Hi Brenda! Sorry about that. I just fixed them. The giveaway ends on the 23rd of April.
Mara Shelley says
I tried the FB link too and didn’t get anything for Darren one. The artwork is beautiful. I love learning about new artists work.
Ok, I think I have it fixed now. Head over and see if that one works! Sorry Mara.