Christmas is around the corner and that means traveling to visit family. This can be stressful for many moms. The thought of getting a whole family ready for Christmas is stressful on its own, but add travel to it and it’s a whole beast to take on!
When my kids were young, we lived a 4 hour drive away from family and would travel up during the holidays quite often. There were a few things I learned during those busy times that I will share with you today.
- Snacks are important! The one thing that really kept the kids happy and content were snacks. I always try to pack healthy fruits and vegetables along with crackers and cheese sticks. One of our favorite brands for crackers is Lance. They have the yummiest Mini Peanut Butter ToastChee snacks and cheese crackers with peanut butter. These snacks keep the kids full for a long time. You can find them here: (affiliate) https://amzn.to/2sFJxJb
Only bring water.
2. We don’t bring flavored drinks for our kids because they would drink the whole thing in minutes then have to use the bathroom every 10 minutes. Bringing water makes them only drink when they are thirsty so there are less stops that have to be made.
3. I know it’s miserable to go on long car rides and it’s hard for little ones to sleep while sitting up. But we need to keep them safely in their car seats. This is where kid travel pillows come in. I found these on Amazon and they have been life savers for my little ones. The kids are more comfortable so they stay in their seats longer. We also bring a few blankets to keep the cold kids warm. There are always the ones who are always cold.! (Affiliate)
Speaking of safety, I recently learned of a new device that helps parents remember that they have a baby in the car. There are way too many tragic accidents happening with distracted parents accidentally leaving their babies in the hot car. This device sets off an alarm on your key chain if you leave a child in the car! This would be the BEST gift for any parent. It’s called CoPilot Automatic Alert System. You can get it here Https://copilotalert.com.
4. Toys, games, puzzles, fidget toys, stress balls are all great things to bring on a trip to keep those little hands busy. Downloading movies to tablets and devices so you aren’t relying on WiFi or data keeps the movie playing without any dead spots.
Music is a lifesaver.
5. Music has a way of calming little ones so they can focus on something other than trying to tear their bodies out of their seatbelts! Download all their favorites before you leave and turn them on and sing ‘til your hearts content!
I hope these tips have come in handy for you in your travels! Let me know what other tips and tricks you have for traveling during the holidays with your kids.
Leave a Reply