It happens to me all the time. I always forget that I put that last load of laundry into the washing machine on a Saturday. After all our chores are done we head out to play and I forget about them until Monday. Yuck! They get all musty smelling. And no one wants their clothes to smell musty.
So, after years of trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell completely, I think I finally have it figured out. It’s actually quite simple. But before we talk about what to do, I want to back up a little and talk about those Saturday Morning Chores.
Do you have your kids help you clean your house? If you said yes, good job mommy! If you said no, you really should start having the kids help out. But, “What are my kids capable of doing? And at what age?” you ask? Well I’m glad you asked because I actually have a printable with all that information for you.
So get to work and get your kids to work too! It can only help them learn how to be independent adults, right?
Now back to the whole reason you’re here. How to get rid of the musty smell in your clothes that have sat too long in the washing machine.
- Start the load again on a super wash setting with warm wash and cold rinse
- Add 2 cups white vinegar
- Add the suggested amount of Borax Laundry Booster (affiliate link)
- Add the suggested amount of your usual laundry detergent. I really like to use Tide Pods (affiliate link) because they are so easy and convenient
- Set the end of wash signal so you don’t forget again
- Dry your clothes how you normally do, and be sure to use a dryer sheet to get the clothes even more fresh smelling
This method works like a charm even on towels. Don’t you think it’s just the WORST when you go to dry off after a shower and the towel you are using smells musty?
Now you’ve just saved yourself from having to go and buy a whole bunch of new clothes! Yay!
Need more awesome laundry and cleaning tips? I’ve got a TON. Check them all out HERE or see my most favorite below.
Enjoy a clean house with your family and remember to go out and play when the work is done!